Monday 18 July 2016

Alex Fiedler writes to The Beach Boys on the subject of tomatoes




I know that you'll feel better when you send us in your letter and tell us the name of your favourite vegetable.”

- The Beach Boys (Vegetables)


~






Dear Brian, Carl, Denis, Mike, Al, Bruce, and Mr Van Dyke Parks,


As suggested in the lyrics to your song 'Vegetables' I have written this letter informing you of the name of my favourite vegetable, in the hope that doing so will make me feel better about life.


You know, if I am being completely honest I have to say that it's the tomato. Now there are some people who claim that the tomato isn't a vegetable but a fruit and these are generally the same people who pronounce it “tomayto”.


In my heart I feel that this is a communist plot against our hard-working American tomato farmers, both at home and on plantations overseas in Vietnam. If the tomato is a fruit then why don't we eat it with ice cream?


You know what? I'm feeling a little better already.


Give my regards to Rhonda, Barbara Ann, Caroline and all the other swinging California girls.


Alex Fiedler.


September 27th, 1967



No comments:

Post a Comment