Monday, 18 July 2016

Alex Fiedler writes to The Beach Boys on the subject of tomatoes




“I know that you'll feel better when you send us in your letter and tell us the name of your favourite vegetable.”

- The Beach Boys (Vegetables)


~






Dear Brian, Carl, Denis, Mike, Al, Bruce, and Mr Van Dyke Parks,


As suggested in the lyrics to your song 'Vegetables' I have written this letter informing you of the name of my favourite vegetable, in the hope that doing so will make me feel better about life.


You know, if I am being completely honest I have to say that it's the tomato. Now there are some people who claim that the tomato isn't a vegetable but a fruit and these are generally the same people who pronounce it “tomayto”.


In my heart I feel that this is a communist plot against our hard-working American tomato farmers, both at home and on plantations overseas in Vietnam. If the tomato is a fruit then why don't we eat it with ice cream?


You know what? I'm feeling a little better already.


Give my regards to Rhonda, Barbara Ann, Caroline and all the other swinging California girls.


Alex Fiedler.


September 27th, 1967



No comments:

Post a Comment