Wednesday 27 May 2020

Five things that I said to the feral cats who live at the bottom of my Twitter feed




By Mark Sadler


Life can be tough in the United States Fire Service. When the time comes to let off some steam, I like nothing more than to abseil to the bottom of my live feed on the social media website, Twitter, and gaze down upon the adorable upturned faces of the feral cats who live there.

Sometimes I dangle a few feet off the ground and let myself swing back and forth, as if I am in an amateur theatrical production of Peter Pan. I attach trailing balls of yarn to my ankles to give the cats something to swat at. Recently I got written-up by my supervisor for failing to remove this unauthorised yarn from my work pants. The woollen thread that I offer to the feral cats on Twitter is much softer than the regulation, flame-retardant yarn balls, used by the fire service to keep domestic cats from clawing at our legs while we are extinguishing blazes.

How did so many cats end up living wild and free on Twitter? People purchase these animals without considering the amount of personal time they will have to invest reading Henry David Thoreau and Robert Frost to their new pets, as part of the Nancy Reagan Feline Evolution Advancement Program. After the novelty wears off, some owners attempt to store their cats digitally. When they discover that even a basic model feline requires 50tb of storage space, and you can't legally upload them into the cloud because they hunt the indigenous wildlife, many resort to turning their animals loose on social media platforms. I guess they gravitate towards Twitter on account of all the tweeting.

During these past months, this feline community has become a sounding board for my problems; an inscrutable and judgmental audience, who express their disapproval at my life choices through excessive scratching and biting. Below is a short list of the personal details that I shared with these cats, without knowledge of how this information might be used, or the third parties who might be allowed access to it.


(1) Clare will come back. She just needs some space

If it wasn't for Clare, I would have never even known there were feral cats living at the bottom of Twitter. After our break-up, when I noticed that she wasn't posting on social media, I rappelled to the base of her Twitter feed to make sure that she hadn't fallen and injured herself while using the site. At first the cats regarded me with suspicion. I felt that an explanation for my intrusion was warranted so I told them about Clare. Ever since then, I have kept them updated with the latest developments in our separation.

(2) Taylor Swift has optioned the movie and TV rights to your story

This isn't true and I regret saying it. I don't think Taylor Swift even knows that there are feral cats living at the bottom of Twitter, or, if she does, I have never heard her express an opinion on it. Come to think of it, I recall, when Clare's older sister got a kitten, she had to throw out all her Taylor Swift music because her vocals are like war cries to cats. It's why you typically get cat households or Taylor Swift households, but seldom both.

(3) Millennials don't know the proper way to serve wine

Last weekend, I went to a sit-down pizza restaurant. It was the first time that I had really been out since Clare left me. The waitress kept on pouring the half-bottle of wine, that I ordered to go with my meal, until it was level with the rim of my glass. The look on her face when I corrected her makes me think that it was a genuine mistake. I guess nobody is teaching young people how to serve wine any more.

I don't know why I told the cats this; I think I was probably just venting. Cats don't drink wine. Even in cartoons, a cat drinking wine is something that you just don't see. I suppose, if you work as a professional illustrator, you get to know how far you can push the boundaries of reality. A picture of a cat drinking prosecco is too much for the average human-being to mentally process.

(4) With every passing day, the distance between you and I increases

Every twenty-four hours, a few hundred tweets are added to my Twitter feed, increasing the distance that I have to travel in order to reach the cats. A couple of hundred might not seem like a lot until you take into account that, up close, each Tweet is, on average, five feet tall. That's only four inches shorter than the actor Seth Green. If Taylor Swift suddenly puts out a new album, the number of daily tweets could skyrocket a thousand-fold.

A day is fast approaching when I will only have time to visit the cats for short periods, on holidays or at weekends.

(5) I am burning the rope that I used to get down here

Since things aren't working too well for me offline, I thought that I might try my luck living among the cats on Twitter for a while. Maybe Clare will notice that I am not posting any more and will come looking for me.

As I was watching the flame working its way up the rope, it occurred to me that if it encounters any flammable tweets - anything containing images of dry wood, cotton wool, or petrol - then it is likely that the whole column will go up in smoke. Then I remembered that every tenth tweet on the site incorporates a sprinkler system designed to prevent exactly that kind of thing from happening. Plus a lot of people tweet fire extinguisher emojis, so I guess that everyone would be okay if there was a fire.

Even if I did set the website ablaze and they called-out the fire department, the first responder would be me! The man holding the burnt-out match, who lives at the bottom of Twitter, in a one-person tent, surrounded by thousands of feral cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment