Sunday 31 May 2020

The rapper COVI 9ineteen wants to know why people have suddenly stopped buying his records



By Mark Sadler


Listen, I got one question I wanna ask y'all: Why ain't none of you buyin' my records no more?

Back at the beginnin' of January, it seemed like 2020 was goin' to be a billboard year for COVI 9ineteen, the reignin' king of the north-eastern US seaboard alternative hip-hop scene.

Y'all couldn't get enough of my new album 'On Perm'nent Lockdown', out now on GVR - Get Ventilated Records - filled-up to the brim on both sides of the vinyl with diamond cuts like Da Plague (featuring PaM Demic), I Wear No Mask, Fool (Carcosa Mix), Shake Hands Like A Man, Coughin' And Splutterin' an' Da Plague (slight recurrence). Seventeen rhymin' tales taken from the hood 2019 cultural exchange programme, where rappers like myself were privileged to experience life in European hoods in France an' Italy, gainin' insights into different communities, learnin' how to rhyme in a foreign language, attendin' local museums an' art exhibits, an' dinin' out on croissants an' weird-ass pasta. There ain't no vaccine been developed that will protect yo' ears from these verses an' beats risin' from the streets, leafy Parisian boulevards and picturesque Italian bowlin' courts. Or so I thought.

March rolls aroun' an' suddenly nobody wants anythin' to do with COVI 9ineteen. I'm gettin' calls from record shops tellin' me my new material is offensive and they won't be rackin' it. You were okay with it in January. Seriously, what gives?

What'd I say to piss y'all off so bad that none of you out there is attendin' my concerts? Case in point: My show at the Kinchen Brothers Peach Cannery Arena, in Augusta, Maine, where I had to unlock the venue myself, an' switch on all the vendin' machines in the lobby. Even then nobody turned up. After an hour of waitin' I walked off the stage in disappointment, convinced I musta got the wrong date.

'Nother thing: I've been readin' some real nasty sentiments expressed against me on social media. People been talkin' some slanderous nonsense, sayin' how my mother was a Chinese bat, an' wantin' to dose me up on Hydroxychloroquine. Shit, the President of the United States is sayin' he goin' to kill me with disinfectant. Word to the man in the oval office: You can't disinfect the pure truth.

Listen, if any y'all got a legitimate beef wit' me, then you need to take it to the floor. You an' me'll go head to head in a war of words, sanctioned by an acredited rulin' body like The Nevada Federation of Hip-Hop Skirmishing, or The Worshipful Company of Battle Rappers, established in 1842, in the UK - Shout out to my crew in London, tearin' it up in St Paul's Cathedral.

If I learned anythin' from the hip-hop game, it's that most problems can be solved by coupla bare-chested men, draped in layers of gold an' platinum chains, standin' six inches apart, pitchin' rhymes they created on the fly in one 'nother's face.

By the way all you social media trolls referrin' to me as COVID-19. The name's COVI. C.O.V.I.

COVID 9ineteen was my father, who was also a rapper. Rest in peace pops. I'd pour a forty out on the kerb, if the queue to the mart didn't run all the way round the block, with everyone weirdly spaced apart, an' givin' me the stink eye when I suggested bringin' it in and showin' the love.

When I think about it, all this is kinda similar to what went down in the middle of 2019, when my label suddenly got cold feet 'bout releasin' my record Wildfire Down Unda – a concept album detaillin' life in the Australian hood.

Or before then, in the summer of 2014, when I released ISIS, an' the lead single Heads Gonna Roll was abruptly bumped from radio playlists.

Even right as far back as 2007, with the unleashing of my debut record, Subprime, I was causing controversy and upsettin' people. I 'member there was all these headlines splashed 'cross the papers blamin' Subprime lendin' for sparkin' a global recession. What was I supposed to do if people were sharin' the record back and forth. I wish more people brought it!

Why y'all keep turnin' yo' backs on old COVI 9ineteen? Seriously, the situation is vexing me like an all-night lover of the matriarchy.

One of my homies tol' me the reason I keep fallin' on my face commercially, is I'm consistently ahead of my time, but only by a few weeks. Weird thing is, he might have a point: A few days ago I was sat down with a pair of gov'ment agents askin' me what I thought might be happenin' in the world a coupla of months from now and makin' notes. At the end of the interview, one of them asked me to write down what I thought the lottery numbers were goin' to be next week, and who would be winnin' the Superbowl next season, “assumin' that there is a next season.”

I tol' him that it's goin' to take some kind of global virus outbreak to stop the National Football League in its tracks.

Anyway, I hope this clears a few things up and we all friends again.

Peace. Out.





No comments:

Post a Comment